What is Creative Placemaking?
Creative placemaking and place-keeping puts the arts, culture and heritage at the center of community and economic development efforts.
In practice, successful creative placemaking can include a range of assets and public spaces connected to cultural, recreational, and entertainment uses.
Why it Matters
- More than two-thirds of young people choose a place to live before a job. Greater amenities and quality of life are key factors in their decisions.
- Arts and cultural production in Iowa accounts for more than $4.5 B in economic activity, 43,000 jobs, and 2.3% of our state's economy.
- The arts and culture, along with science and technology and business management, are three key sectors that drive regional economies forward.
- Research shows rural areas with more arts and design businesses, live music venues and performing arts facilities tend to:
- Attract more out-of-county visitors;
- Have higher business innovation scores.
- Experience faster population growth;